Thursday, February 11, 2010

MH704, 10 Feb 2010

Woke up at 6a.m. getting myself ready for a flight back to Makati City. Dad and Mom were busy checking my luggages, ensuring I have not left anything important behind. Ready to hit the road by 6.50a.m. and had my last prayer ritual. Bowed three times in respect to Buddha, Dharma and Sangha, and said my prayers - I'm thankful that Mom and Dad are healthy, my family members and friends are well and happy and most thankful that I have the ability to serve my family as a whole person. I thank Buddha for always being there for me, for looking upon me when I faces the good and bad times, for being my Guardian Angel whenever I stumble across obstacles in life....I'm thankful that I'm always blessed with happy outcomes despite times of adversities and turbulence....

Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu....

MH704 was ahead of the schedule that day. The plane took off at 1015 sharp, leaving KLIA Terminal. I left HOME with a heavy heart, but a big smile because I was the happiest girl for the past 14 days at home....and I whispered to Dad and Mom, saying not to worry because I will be back home for good very soon. They don't have to worry about me for any longer anymore.....

Approximate 1120. I looked out the window, wow....so many marshmallows....I see different shape of clouds and was guessing if those clouds resembles anything familiar...I saw a toad, a bear, a shooting star...all made of clouds! I chuckles and think, if Bobby were here with me, I'm sure he says he can't see anything! I miss B, and I can't wait to see him at Makati soon!

The plane was all silent in a sudden. All lights went off inside the plane. Poof* the oxygen mask dropped down from the upper part of the cabin, and I can hear the Captain's announcing - There is an Emergency. There is an Emergency. Please put on the oxygen mask now. There is an Emergency....There is an Emergency.....

His voice just faded in my head. I put on the mask and was still trying to figure out if anyone's playing prank. No one. Just on split nanoseconds, the plane "dropped" from its original height. People were screaming, babies were crying. I finally knew it's something serious. I had difficulty breathing due to the sudden decreased of height and pressure from the plunge.

I looked out the window again. No more marshmallows. I could see the ocean. The Captain started announcing again - Please put on your Life Jacket now. It's under your seat. Put on your Life Jacket. Remain in your seats. Use the oxygen mask to breath.

What?!!? Are we gonna crash or something? Why are we putting on the Life Jacket? Are we gonna crash? - all sorts of voices I heard from people on the plane. Me, I was just breathing in and out, as normal as I could; and couldn't stop crying. Yeah, I was crying because I was afraid. Afraid of death of course. I closed my eyes, still crying, held tight on the Tiger Bear which Dad bought for me prior to my departure. I was chanting Buddha's name, but I couldn't stop crying.

Amidst all chaos, the Captain was announcing again - We are having some technical problem (the plane) and we are now heading back to Kuala Lumpur for safety landing. We are now xxx km (I forgot the height) above sea level of South China Sea. It will take approximately xx minutes for us to reach Kuala Lumpur for safe landing. Please remain seated and use the oxygen mask.

Fine. The pilot's trying his best. No point creating havoc and let's pray that safety landing really comes true. The plane moved with total silence. I couldn't stop looking outside through the window, because I wanted to see the landing lanes so much. I saw the ocean, then the mountains. The plane was getting stuffy and hotter, due to lack of ventilation and oxygen. All passengers are still having the mask on, because we could be suffocated as there weren't enough oxygen supply in the plane.

The stewards and stewardess was busy walking up and down, ensuring the elders and babies are taken care of. Just then, I overheard the steward explaining what happened to the plane to a business class passenger - Sir, we are having technical problems on the plane, and the cockpit is not reading the location of the plane. That's why we need to head right back to Kuala Lumpur now....

The cockpit can't locate us? great. Which means, if we crash at anytime, no one would know what happened to us? No one would be able to find our bodies? great great great. I was crying again....I think no need to tell further why I was crying....

I don't know how much time were spent on praying and crying. I looked out again, and I saw kelapa sawit plantations. I was slightly relieved, because I know that KLIA is surrounded by kelapa sawit. Which means we are so much nearer to our safety landing.

The Captain confirmed that we are able to land in 30 minutes time. More relieved. Still couldn't take out the oxygen mask, as there were no more oxygen supply in the plane. It was a rough landing. Once the plane halted, numerous Bomba, Emergency Unit and Ambulances surrounded the plane, getting ready to help anyone in need.

As the stewardess usher us into the departure hall, a few paramedics were examining every passengers on board, including me. They measure the blood pressure, asked a few question if I were in pain, and provided some brief counseling - just to ensure that I'm alright....

Of which, here I am, writing this. Alive. Dad and Mom were proud of me, not only because I survived; but because I have the courage to head on with another flight all way back to Manila, alone. I knew that if I had given up at that time, I would forever be traumatic to take a ride on the plane. I have to, and I must get over it and be brave.

Just like LIFE itself. There are countless tricky endeavors, difficult challenges, hard times, or just simply bad things that happens on some bad days - if we don't face it and get over it, we will be forever stuck with it. But if we try to take a step further and embraces it, there may be something better ahead waiting for us. I can't decide life and death, but I can choose to live life to its fullest at every single moment I can possible have. I can still choose my path, and that's what so fun about Life...!

2 comments:

  1. Gosh!! I can't imagine that situation. I would have cry like hell same as you. I have been travelling so much and never really paid attention to the safety measures brief by the cabin crew all this while. It's really scary. I shouldn't take it lightly next time.

    Bet mum and dad must be very worried. Especially when you insisted on the next flight back. But thank GOD again you are fine now, which add another bonus point that you should extra cherish family, love and life.

    I'm proud of you too gal. Again, thank GOD you are fine. Buddha is truely looking over you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. in fact, Dad&Mom were the one who encouraged me to go on with the next flight. They knew when to let me go, because only then I would know when to come HOME...

    ReplyDelete