Friday, August 5, 2011

good August spring

There's nothing to do with four season. There were no winter earlier and am not sure if there will be some-kind-of-month to make autumn arrives.

I said so because I have good start this month. Simply, I had a good evening with Clement Ho. We went book-shopping at Kinokuniya.

HE introduced me Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. I was mesmerized. I didn't know literature reading can be that enjoyable and stress-free. I don't remember any stage in my kid-teenage-adult life saying I love books. But that was a good book. I din't skip any chapters, and definitely not reading because I had nothing to do. I did not do anything else because I wanted to read that book.

Shanghai Girls - as the name goes, about Pearl and May, two beautiful girls living through the glam and riches in Shanghai town. They were the popular calendar girls at that era, posing and literally stripping for ang-mo artist to brush their charm onto calendar pages. But their life twisted when their gambler father 'sold' them to a "gold mountain" chinaman residing at Hollywood. Pearl and May was then transported as paper wives, and the story elaborated further on turbulences pre and post...

And today, at Kinokuniya...I bought the next chapter of the series...Dreams of Joy. Joy...is May's daughter at birth, but raised by Pearl since Joy took her first gasp of air. Why exchange phoenix to a hen; that they sealed the truth with dark secrets never told to anyone.

There will be a lot of book reading soon to come. I am a worm. Dino-worm!

No comments:

Post a Comment